515 Protection and Privacy of Student Records
The school recognizes its responsibility in regard to the collection, maintenance and dissemination of pupil records and the protection of the privacy rights of students as provided in federal and state statutes.
II. General Statement of Policy
The following procedures and policies regarding the protection and privacy of parents and students are adopted by the school, pursuant to the requirements of 20 U.S.C. 1232g, et.seq. (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) 34 C.F.R. Part 99 and consistent with the requirements of the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minn. Stat. Ch. 13 and Minn. Rules Parts 1205.0100-1205.2000.
A. Dates of Attendance
Date of attendance, as referred to in the Directory Information, means the period of time during which a student attends or attended a school or schools in the school. The term does not include specific daily records of a student’s attendance at a school or schools in the school.
B. Dependent Students
A “dependent student” is an individual who during each of five (5) calendar months during the calendar year in which the taxable year of the parent begins:
1. is a full time student at an educational institution; or
2. is pursuing a full-time course of instructional on farm training under the supervision of an accredited agent of an educational institution or of a state or political subdivision of the state.
C. Directory Information
“Directory Information” means information contained in an educational record of a student which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. It includes, but is not limited to: the student’s name, address, telephone listing, electronic mail address, photograph, date and place of birth, major field of stuy, dates of attendance, grade level, enrollment status (i.e. full-time or part-time), participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, degrees, honors and awards received, and most recent educational agency or institution attended. It also includes the name, address and telephone number of the student’s parents. Directory information does not include personally identifiable data which references religion, race, color, social position or nationality.
D. Education Records
- What constitutes “Education Records”. Education records mean those records which: (1) are directly related to a student; and (2) are maintained by the school or by a party acting for the school.
- What does not constitute an Education Record. The term “Education Record” does not include:
a. Records of instructional personnel which:
- are in the sole possession of the maker of the record
- are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a substitute teacher; and
- are destroyed at the end of the school year.