Revised: March 22nd, 2018
715 ADMISSION POLICIES & PROCEDURES
Academy establishes the following Admissions and Lottery Policy
GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
Admission to STRIDE Academy is open to all students, without regard to ability, race, religion, or any other factors, other than the capacity of the program, class, grade level, or building. A charter school shall give enrollment preference to a sibling of an enrolled pupil and to a foster child of that pupil’s parents and may give preference for enrolling children of the school’s staff before accepting other pupils by lot. ─ Charter Schools, Minn. Stat. § 124D.10 (2012)
- STRIDE Academy’s open enrollment period for the upcoming school year will end on December 15th of the current fiscal year for interested students of the upcoming school year.
- The Lottery for the upcoming school year will occur on fourth Tuesday of January of the current fiscal year.
- All enrollment forms received after December 15th of the current fiscal year will be time stamped and students will be added to the waiting list after the lottery and in order of time submitted.
- During the current school year – all interested students can submit an application at any time.
- New student applications must be completed and include: a completed application, birth certificate, and immunization records. This is required of both sibling and non-sibling applicants.
- Application Processing: Each enrollment application received is date-stamped and also either time-stamped or sequentially stamped by number designating the order in which applications were received for each such date.
- Applications received after the open enrollment period expires are automatically admitted as long as there is available enrollment as established by the Board in the applicable grade, in the order received. If, or once, there is no available enrollment in any grade, applications are added to the applicable waiting list for each such grade, in the order received.
- Notice to Currently Admitted Students & Staff employed at the School: Prior to the end of the open enrollment period, the school provides notice of the open enrollment period to parents and staff so sibling of currently admitted students and children of staff may submit a timely application.
Upon consideration of the number of currently-enrolled students at STRIDE Academy, who are each by law provided enrollment preference, the Board of STRIDE Academy establishes the following available enrollment/seats in each grade:
|AVAILABLE ENROLLMENT BY GRADE FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019|
|Grade||Available Enrollment/Seats Per Classroom||Number of classrooms based on current school year. *Will be revisited as acknowledged in number 2 below.|
- After the lottery and before the end of the school year the enrollment will be revisited and determined in the following manner: Grade level and class size limits as determined by the Board of Directors & the number by which the Board has approved over-enrolling a grade level in anticipation of changes prior to the actual start of the school year.
GENERAL ADMISSION PROCEDURES
- All applications received during the open enrollment period are automatically accepted for enrollment (i.e. admitted) unless more applications are received than the available enrollment established by the Board for the applicable grade(s) are placed in the lottery; however, sibling of currently admitted students and children of staff employed in school have preference.
- Order of Admission: Sibling of already admitted students, then children of staff employed at the school, then general admission.
- If a student without sibling already enrolled in the school is enrolled and begins classes AFTER the lottery has taken place (but before the current school year ends) and has a sibling who submitted an Application, then that sibling will receive sibling preference and be admitted if there are available seats in the applicable grade after all students who timely submitted completed applications for that particular grade and year are admitted.
- No waiting list carry over from year to year: Each waiting list is subject to a lottery and redrawn during each admission process each year.
- Multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.): Each student seeking admission completes an application (i.e. not one application for the family). In a lottery situation, each student receives an individual number/lot in the lottery.
- Siblings of Admitted Students: sibling, who submit an application before the expiration of the open enrollment period, of currently admitted students are automatically admitted unless the number of sibling applications exceeds the available enrollment established by the Board for the applicable grade(s). If the number of sibling applications exceeds available enrollment in any grade, a sibling lottery is held for each such grade. Siblings are admitted to the school in the order in which they are drawn in the lottery. If all available enrollments in a grade are filled by siblings, the sibling lottery continues and establishes the sibling waiting list, which has preference over both the teacher-children waiting list and general waiting list.
- Children of Staff Employed at STRIDE Academy: Children of Staff employed at the school who submit an application before the expiration of the open enrollment period, are automatically admitted provided that all siblings (of already admitted students) who submitted a timely application are admitted, and provided there is available enrollment as determined by the Board for the applicable grade(s). If the number of children of Staff exceeds the available enrollment established by the Board for any grade (and after all siblings (of admitted students) who submitted a timely application are admitted), a teacher-children lottery is held. Children of Staff are admitted to the school in the order in which they are drawn in the lottery. If all available enrollments in a grade are filled by children of Staff, the staff-children lottery continues to establish the teacher-children waiting list for each such grade.
STRIDE will hold up to three lotteries per grade, K−6, beginning with Grade six based on timely applications* received:
- STRIDE sibling-applicant lottery;
- STRIDE staff-child lottery;
- General applicant lottery.
Lotteries will be held for a given grade only if there is more than one applicant applying for a given grade. STRIDE’s lotteries will be conducted using an electronic randomizing process (Microsoft Excel) for each of the grade-levels containing on-time applications. The electronically randomized lists will become the waiting list for each grade, with the randomized list of siblings for a given grade being placed in the first places on the waiting lists, the randomized list of staff-children being placed immediately following the sibling applicants, and the randomized list of general applicants being placed immediately following the staff-children applicants. A charter school shall give enrollment preference to a sibling of an enrolled pupil and to a foster child of that pupil’s parents and may give preference for enrolling children of the school’s staff before accepting other pupils by lot. ─ Charter Schools, Minn. Stat. § 124D.10 (2012)
All applications for each such grade(s) (excluding applications from siblings of already admitted students and excluding applications from children of Staff employed at the school) received before the expiration of the open enrollment period are included in the general lottery. Students are admitted to the school in the order in which they are drawn in the lottery, as long as there is available enrollment as determined by the Board for the applicable grade(s). If all available enrollments in any grade are filled, the lottery continues and establishes the general waiting list for each such grade in the order drawn, until all applications are drawn. If a student is admitted through the general lottery and that student has one or more siblings in other grades also subject to a lottery, those siblings are automatically admitted as long as available enrollment as determined by the Board remains in the applicable grade(s).
- Lottery Grade Order: Applicable lotteries occur from highest grade to lowest grade. For example, if a lottery is required in grades K and 3, the grade 3 lottery is conducted first, followed by the K lottery.
- The School conducts all lotteries through a method of random selection.
- STRIDE Academy shall vigorously market itself before and during the enrollment period to recruit students to meet its enrollment goals as set by the board of directors.
- In accordance with a marketing strategy, STRIDE Academy may use the specific measures, such as: Posting flyers and notices in local newspapers and/or blogs and online newspapers; Posting the admissions policy and application (available for download) on the school’s website; utilizing local radio advertisement.
KINDERGARTEN AND FIRST GRADE ADMISSIONS
- STRIDE Academy does not accept applications for kindergarten students who are not age five on or before September 1stof the calendar year in which the school year for which the student seeks admission commences.
- STRIDE Academy does not accept applications for first grade students who are not age six on September 1stof the calendar year in which the school year for which the pupils seeks admission commences or has completed kindergarten.
Legal References: Minn. Stat. §124D.10 subd. 9 (Admission Requirements)
Minn. Stat. §§123B.36-.37 (Authorized Fees; Prohibited Fees)